Rejoice
I visited my blog today and discovered I have not posted in 2 months! I suppose that is a good picture of how my heart has felt these last couple months- empty with nothing to give.
I didn't realize how real culture stress can be. I kept hearing this little phrase in the beginning of my time here. Sadly in my pride I just had thoughts like, "That will not happen to me" or "My relationship with the Lord is strong enough to not have to go through that."
Well here I am, a few months later deciding I have much more compassion for M's going through this season and I will no longer be attributing it to a person simply not knowing their identity in the Lord!
I recently read two blogs of M friends who are serving in different parts of Africa. Both of them talked about this issue of culture stress and both had the same solution: thanksgiving.
This is something I have been learning to be more intentional about since being here. I even made a point to mention the issue of thanksgiving in my last newsletter. But... I must admit it has still been a challenging area for me!
A few weeks ago I felt the Lord ask me to take the whole day thanking Him for every little thing I could think of. So every chance I had, whether it was a short bus ride, a moment alone in the bathroom, a class break or break from doing homework, I stopped and thought of things to be thankful for. By the end of the day, all of the frustrations I was experiencing seemed to shrink into the background as Jesus and His goodness became the highlight of my thoughts and feelings.
When I woke up the next morning feeling the same way I had two days before, I knew that just one day of thanksgiving was not enough to transform my heart completely. It needed to become a lifestyle.
So this is where I am now- taking a little time each night before bed to focus on things to be thankful for. Sometimes it is hard to get started. When I have had a bad day I really have to push my soul to give thanks. But once I get going, my heart softens and giving thanks becomes a joy. I know this will only get easier over time.


Aw Christie Ann... I so understand this!! Even tho I am not on the field I used to think I would never be weak in my walk with God, but I have had many of those days lately, and you are so right! Thanks for the reminder that being thankful for everything our Father has done for us brakes that stress and worry! I love you and am praying for your time there!
ReplyDelete